On July 6, 2012, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a proposed rule expanding Medicare coverage for services delivered via a telecommunications system, which are commonly known as telehealth or telemedicine services. The additional telehealth services that CMS proposed to cover, effective January 1, 2013, are:
- Alcohol and/or substance abuse and brief intervention services. CMS added CPT Codes G0396 and G0397 to cover these services;
- Alcohol misuse screening and behavioral counseling: CPT Codes G0442 and G0443;
- Adult depression screening: CPT Code G0444;
- Screening for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and high intensity behavioral counseling to prevent STIs: CPT Code G0445;
- Behavioral therapy for cardiovascular disease: CPT Code G0446; and
- Intensive behavioral counseling for obesity: G0447.
The proposed rule amends 42 C.F.R. 410.78 and 42 C.F.R. 414.65. The full text of the proposed rule can be found here —> Telehealth Rule